Build a great reporting interface using Splunk, one of the leaders in the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) field, linking the collected Windows events to www.eventid.net. The EventId.Net for Splunk Add-on assumes that Splunk is collecting information from Windows servers and workstation via the Splunk Universal Forwarder.
Unable to move mailbox <mailbox name>. <error message> <error ID>.
|English: Request a translation of the event description in plain English.|
|Concepts to understand:|
What precautions should be taken when moving a user mailbox?
What are the common reasons that may cause a failure in attempting to move a mailbox?
See ME322051 for a hotfix applicable to Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 and ME839217 for a hotfix applicable to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003.
This issue may occur if a user's mailbox contains an e-mail message with a stripped or disassociated attachment, or if a user's mailbox contains a corrupted e-mail message. See ME264119 and ME318726 to find out how you can solve this problem.
See MSEX2K3DB, ME264413 and ME951747 for additional information about this event.
We got the event in conjunction with event 9172 when we tried to move a mailbox from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. The MAPI code was 80004005-0000-00000000.
To solve the problem we ExMerged the mailbox. Then we opened it in Outlook and we found that the user had stored a number of Office documents directly in a subfolder of his mailbox (he used them as templates). We removed the complete folder, and afterwards the mailbox could be moved. When the mailbox was on Exchange 2003, we were able to copy the folder back from the PST file that we had previously created.
I got this error when moving mailboxes between servers in a site. I discovered that the mail server hosting the mailbox was still pointing to a recently removed DNS server and could not contact AD properly. Once the DNS/WINS settings were updated, the mailbox move completed successfully.
I received this error message when attempting to move mailboxes between two Exchange 2003 Standard servers. The issue I was having is that the original server had higher storage limits than the server I was moving the mailboxes too. The original server did not indicate any issues with the storage limits, but the target server mentioned the user exceeded their mailbox capacity. After removing all storage limits for the user, their mailbox moved without any issues.
I had a failed mailbox move from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. After running the cleanup agent and trying again, I got the 1008 error along with EventID 9169 and EventID 1205. I found the following web page with information on this problem: Planetmagpie Technote - MAILBOX MOVE FAILURE.
Basically, they say "try it again, get the error, wait a few minutes, and try it again and it should work". This was not the case. Of the 10 mailboxes I had left, only 3 worked. I forced the Recipient Update service to run, waited 30 minutes and then tried again, and it worked. The key is to
1. Try to move the mailboxes again, knowing it will fail.
2. Run the RUS on all your policies.
3. Wait 30 minutes or so.
4. Try again.
This issue may occur if you promoted a domain controller to a global catalog server, and you did not restart the new global catalog server. New MAPI client computers cannot connect to Exchange 2000 if you do not restart the new global catalog server after you promote the domain controller. Check the following Microsoft articles to resolve your problem: ME273255, ME294172, ME317338, ME323333, ME326990, ME828875, ME836883, ME843279, ME870599, and ME886700.
If you have two Win2k domain controllers and you have Exchange 5.5 in both servers joined in a single site, place the PDC emulator role on the server that has the mailboxes.
If you use the Exchange 5.5 Admin to move mailboxes to an Exchange 2000 server in the same site you get an error with ID: c1040af4.
The solution is to move mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 using Active Directory Users and computers > All Tasks > Exchange Tasks > Move Mailbox.
Error: The information store could not be opened. The MAPI provider failed. MAPI 1.0 Error ID: 8004011d-0289-00000000
It appears that ME278966 describes the problem.
|Private comment: Subscribers only. See example of private comment|
|Links: ME264119, ME264413, ME273255, ME278966, ME294172, ME317338, ME318726, ME322051, ME323333, ME326990, ME828875, ME836883, ME839217, ME843279, ME870599, ME886700, ME951747, Planetmagpie Technote - MAILBOX MOVE FAILURE, Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Merge Wizard (ExMerge), MSEX2K3DB|
|Search: Google - Bing - Microsoft - Yahoo - EventID.Net Queue (0) - More links...|
Send comments or solutions
- Notify me when updated