In my case, the file path was C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\A.A006 and the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)". For generic information about this error see the link for Error code 0x8007001f
While the folder location listed in the error may be slightly different (from A.A006 in this case) the problem is from Trend Micro Internet Security (TMIS) even though it lists the source as being the search service. Your TMIS product will not be able to update and you will not be able to perform a scan because TMIS will be stuck in this process of trying to update.
Attempts to manually update TMIS did not fix the issue.
To fix the issue (per instructions from Trend Micro Support):
1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
2. Type regedit and click OK.
3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Trend Micro/Pccillin/17/ServiceFramework/EnforceLayer/Antispyware/Behavior
4. Look for Enable and VSTScanner and double click them.
5. Change each of their values to zero (0).
6. Close the registry editor window.
7. Reboot your computer and update TMIS.
All should then be fixed and this error message should no longer get generated.