Error code: 5 = "Access is denied." - For Windows NT 4.0 a Microsoft article (ME155237
which is no longer available) describes the cause and the resolution:
This problem can occur when the replication service on the import server has been set to use an account that does not have read permission in the registry of the export server.
Make certain the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key on the export server gives the replication account on the import server at least read permission. By default, everyone has read permission. Alternately, set the replication service to use the system account on all replicating machines.
To verify permissions on the export server, follow these steps:
1. In Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE), select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on the export server.
2. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
3. Verify that the user account that starts the Replicator service on the import server has at least read permission for the key.
To check which account is being used to start the replication service on the import server, follow these steps:
1. Log on to the server and open Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Services icon, then click Directory Replicator.
3. Click Startup to view information about which account the service is using when it starts.