Event ID/Source search
Keyword searchExample: Windows cannot unload your registry file
Event ID: 4006 Source: DNS
The DNS server was unable to create a name in memory for name "<host name>" in zone "<zone name>" in the Active Directory. This directory name is ignored. Use the DNS console to recreate the records associated with this name or check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and reload the zone. The event data contains the error.
|English: Request a translation of the event description in plain English.|
|Concepts to understand:|
What is the role of a DNS server?
If the server having the error is running Active Directory, the fix is a bit more complicated for the same error. I had to manually remove entries from two locations:
1. Deleted the old Reverse lookups in the dns.
2. Used AD Users and Computers tool to delete the old dnsNode entries which somehow remained in AD (even when they have been deleted from the DNS) in AD: System, MicrosoftDNS, <domain name>.
The error in my case was caused by a router. It tried to register itself in DNS but its name contained a space. Being an invalid DNS character, it caused the error.
You might not have permission to access this file. User Action: Check the permissions on the specified file:
1. In Windows Explorer, go to the Systemroot\System32\Dns folder.
2. Right-click the specified database file, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click Permissions.
4. Verify that you have the proper permissions to read, write, and run the file.
|Private comment: Subscribers only. See example of private comment|
|Search: Google - Bing - Microsoft - Yahoo - EventID.Net Queue (0) - More links...|
Send comments or solutions
- Notify me when updated