We had this issue on a DC, which holds the DNS server for the domain. One of the new servers was initially put on DHCP but since it was made TS server later on, a static IP was needed. After assigning the static IP, we forgot to clear the old entries from DNS, which caused the problem. The forward lookup entry was fine; it was the PTR record that was not correct.
for a hotfix applicable to Microsoft Operations Manager 2000.
Various sources could cause event 565 logged. Look into description for Object Type, Object Server, Primary User account, and so on to determine who wanted to access what resources. Check the permissions on accessed object. Check the type of the operation. Check if the user has right permissions.
As per Microsoft: "An attempt was made to access a directory service object. Success or failure is indicated in the message. If access was successful, the listed accesses were requested and granted. If access failed, the listed accesses were requested but not granted". See MSW2KDB
for more details on this event.
As per Microsoft: "This behavior occurs if you do not have the Send As or Owner rights for the mailbox that you are trying to open. The failure audit events are logged to notify the administrator that the user who is accessing the mailbox does not have Send As or Owner rights to the mailbox itself even though the user has delegate access to the mailbox. These failure audit events are logged in the Security log of the Event Viewer so that the administrator of the Exchange 2000 organization can verify that security permissions are set correctly". See ME813229
for more details.
After you configure security auditing on public folders that are in your Exchange 2000 Server organization, if the security events that are related to public folder access do not appear as you expect (you receive no indication about what particular event occurred) see ME810929
for a workaround.
If after you grant Send As permissions to a user in a child domain to send an e-mail message as a public folder that is located in a parent domain, the user cannot send e-mail messages as the public folder see ME331655
for a workaround.
For additional information, see the following links: "Monitoring and Auditing for End Systems" and "Microsoft Solution for Securing Windows 2000 Server".
We had this event occur after we migrated our file server to new hardware with the same server name. It caused users to be able to read files, but not write/modify them. The only resolution was to delete the computer account in the domain and re-join the computer to the domain.
As per Microsoft, the cause of this is: "The object name length is set to the number of characters, instead of to the number of bytes. The distinguished name is stored as Unicode, which causes only half of the string to be processed." See ME319672
I believe the errors are coming from Exchange 2000 connector. Checked ADC userIDs and passwords and service user IDs and passwords. Re-ran Domainprep (ME314294
). Restarted Site Replication service and the errors went away.
This event will be generated when there are missing DNS PTR records, incorrect PTR records (mismatch between FQDNs in A records and PTR records) or missing reverse lookup zones.
This behavior can occur on an Active Directory and SMS environment because the SMS Service account's group membership is evaluated repeatedly as Collection Evaluator monitors collections. See ME311258
Also, Systems Management Server (SMS) services that are running on the site server may perform excessive directory accesses. This can generate unnecessary network traffic. If you have enabled success auditing of directory service, the SMS Service account may generate many event ID 565 entries in the Security event log. See ME317112
This may relate to dynamic updates if running a DNS service (AD or non-AD integrated) on a Windows 2000 server. Switch the offending client to static IP and a permananet A rec and rev PTR rec.
This event was logged every 1 minute by our exchange 2000 server on our Domain Controller Security Log. I found that the "Recipient Update Service (Enterprise Configuration)" was the one triggering the failure. I went into ADSIedit and gave "Exchange Enterprise Servers" permissions to "CN=Configuration, DC=internal, DC=net" now the same event is logged as success. I gave Full Control since I don't know what permissions I should give the group.
In my case the message only occurs when a user uses Outlook Web Access for their mail. If this user uses Outlook all is fine.