To solve this problem, I tried to disable automatic live updates, but the problem still appeared. I even reinstalled the version I had on the system, but the problem still appeared. After doing a bit of troubleshooting I finally found that, it seemed I had an old version of live update on my system. I went to the Symantec website and installed the latest one (July 2003) and rebooted the machine. I ran Live Update again and then it worked fine.
This problem happens most when you use both Live Update 1.7 and Live Update Administrator 1.5.3 and Liveupdate runs silent. When you manually start the update from the Admin-Utility then no eventlog entry is generated.In both ways, automatically or manually, the files are current. Symantec are not able at this time to reproduce the error, but you find n tip in the kb:
1. Open the Symantec System Center Console.
2. Right-click the Primary NAV Server icon and navigate to "Virus Definitions Manager."
3. At the bottom of the "Virus Definitions Manager" dialog box, make sure that "Enabled download product updates using live update" is checked.
4. Save the changes and then run LiveUpdate.