Monitor unlimited number of servers
Filter log events
Create email and web-based reports

Direct access to Microsoft articles
Customized keywords for major search engines
Access to premium content

Event ID: 8 Source: crypt32

Source
Level
Description
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windows-update.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: <error code>
Comments
 
In my case I fixed this by updating the certificates by running rootsupd.exe.
The solution of EventID.Net worked for me. However there is another solution if you do not want to uninstall the feature, that also worked on our clients. As described in ME317541 you can use the command line tool proxycfg to correct it. In most cases it should be sufficient to just use the proxy settings from IE, so you should use this command (as logged-in administrator):

proxycfg -u
From a support forum:
This is how I fixed this problem on my computer. I have Symantec SEP 11 and one of the updates changed the way the system user account accesses the Internet and it now no longer uses the proxy settings from Internet Explorer. To specify the proxy settings for this user you must run proxycfg.exe from command line:

usage:
proxycfg -? : to view help information
proxycfg : to view current WinHTTP proxy settings
proxycfg [-d] [-p <server-name> [<bypass-list>]]

-d : set direct access
-p : set proxy server(s), and optional bypass list

proxycfg -u : import proxy settings from current user's Microsoft Internet Explorer manual settings (in HKCU)
This behavior can occur if the Update Root Certificates component is turned on and the computer cannot connect to the Windows Update server on the Internet.

To resolve this behavior, you must connect to the Internet or turn off the Update Root Certificates component. To turn off the Update Root Certificates component, follow these steps:
1.In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
2.Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3.Click to clear the Update Root Certificates check box, and then continue with the Windows Components Wizard.
For more information and solution from Microsoft, see T734054.


Caused by the computer wither not have a connection to the Internet or there being something like a proxy server in between. See EV100152 for detailed steps on how to resolved.
According to EV100103 (TrendMicro Solution ID: EN-1055122), if this is recorded after installing OfficeScan 10 it can be ignored. Check the article for more details.
Error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired. - Once I turned on the Automatic Updates, the error was gone.
In my case, this happened after I installed Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 RU5.
Error code: 0x8ca - See the information for Error code 2250 (0x8ca in decimal).
Error code: 0x2 - See the information for Error code 2
Error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation (or code 0x3a). - This may be recorded if the computer cannot connect to the Windows Update server on the Internet. See ME317541 for details.
Error: The server name or address could not be resolved - This may indicate a problem with the DNS server. Verify in a command prompt (using nslookup) if the computer can resolve the www.download.windowsupdate.com host name. As of March 2, 2010, this host name should resolve to IPs 65.197.197.83, 65.197.197.73.
Install Root Certificates Update (rootsupd.exe) from Microsoft.
I ran into this when I was trying to request a cert from a CA. There are a few things to check:
1. Make sure your DNS is set up properly.
2. Make sure the account you are requesting with has the authority to request certificates through the Certification Authority.
3. In my case, I had to go to Add/Remove programs/Windows Components and uncheck Update Root Certificates as per ME317541.
4. After all above are good, reboot.
I was receiving error "This network connection does not exist" on an SBS 2003 Premium server running WSUS. Creating a destination set for Windows Update containing the destinations *.download.windowsupdate.com, *.update.microsoft.com, *.windowsupdate.microsoft.com, *.windowsupdate.com and *.microsoft.com and then creating a Site & Content Rule to always allow any request to that destination set, stopped this error from occurring.
I found this event logged when I started having problems with Internet Explorer taking a long time to start up. I discovered that I had mistakenly set my computers time and date six months ahead. Reseting to correct date solved the problem.


See WITP77897 for information about this event.
From a newsgroup post: "The error can occur if the auto-update feature is disabled and the root certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove Programs is not removed"

Windows Event Log Analysis Splunk App

Build a great reporting interface using Splunk, one of the leaders in the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) field, linking the collected Windows events to www.eventid.net.

Read more...

 

Cisco ASA Log Analyzer Splunk App

Obtain enhanced visibility into Cisco ASA firewall logs using the free Firegen for Cisco ASA Splunk App. Take advantage of dashboards built to optimize the threat analysis process.

Read more...